In Junior and Senior Infants we follow the Aistear : Early Childhood Curriculum. ‘Aistear is the curriculum framework for children from birth to six years in Ireland.’ Both teachers have set up their classrooms into designated areas some of which include : Construction Area, Literacy Area, Small World, Messy Play, Role Play, Junk Art, Sand & Water, Discovery.
Whilst we as teachers have set up the areas, it is the children themselves who lead the learning. Through guided activities and ‘suggested’ resources we as the teachers are facilitating the children to become active learners.
There are huge benefits to this approach to learning
- Children learn by being with others
- They feel secure and confident
- They take risks and explore
- They take part in challenging experiences
- They direct and co-direct their own learning
- They feel like they are in control
- They become involved in making choices and decisions
- Challenge themselves
- Their own interests and experiences are built on
- Through play children build on and extend at school what they have learned at home, at their childminder’s and/or early years setting.
- Play and first hand experiences are important for children’s well-being
- Children develop to their best potential through play.
- Children who are ready to move on can do so, as all children learn at their own rate, through play.