Hope you are all enjoying the “summer at last” weather, let’s hope it’s here to stay!
Don’t forget, if it’s sunny, please pack a bottle of sunscreen in your child’s bag as they may have some lessons out of doors as well as normal playtimes.
Just a few items of interest to you:
(1) Please, everyone, come along to the Table Quiz and drag your friends and relatives. It was a marvellous night last year and should be even better this year. And it’s our major fund-raiser for the first half of the year – we’re planning to spend the proceeds on ipads and laptops which are sorely needed. The Parents’ Association will be selling tickets over the next few days at drop-off and pick-up times, and they’re also looking for raffle prizes such as vouchers, edibles and drinkables, and gift items. The Quiz is on Friday May 20th in McGowans of Harold’s Cross.
(2) The date for the orchestra concert has had to be changed to June 2nd. Parents most welcome to come to the school that day at 1 pm and hear all our orchestral groups showing what they’ve learnt during the year. 2nd Class will have their orchestra exam on Thursday May 26th and 1st Class on a date to be arranged.
(3) As our school has expanded, we’re in growing need of car-park space. The car park at the school only accommodates a few cars and anyway, we try to keep it clear to give the children more play-space. We do have a few parking spaces at the church, but I’m wondering if any local parents (living in e.g.,Rutledge Terrace, Hamilton St, Sandford Ave, Merton Ave) have car-parking spaces that are unused during the day? Would you be willing to allow a staff member park there? It would be an informal arrangement that you could cancel at any time. Please let me know if you can help out.
(4) 5th Class Parents: you are invited to a meeting at 8 pm on Monday, May 30th, to meet Caroline Browne and Roisin Judge who will be teaching your children in a job-share next year. They will explain to you how it will all work and you can ask any questions you may have. Also, it’s become a tradition that 5th Class parents help to organise the catering for the 6th Class Graduation, which will be happening on Monday June 27th. We usually serve a lunch to the students and parents of 6th Class. I know it’s ages away at the moment, but just letting you know so you can be thinking about it. Your turn to have lunch served up to you next year!
(5) Chess players, there is a team tournament on Sunday in the Stillorgan Park Hotel, organised by Alex Baburin Get a team of four together and just turn up sometime between 2 pm and 2:30, you don’t have to pre-register. The tournament should be over by 5 pm or thereabouts. If you don’t fancy playing chess for the whole afternoon, you might like to come up to the Harold’s Cross Festival in Harold’s Cross Park where I will be taking on all comers at chess. Stand on the sidelines and cheer me on, or take part and try to beat me! 2:30 – 4:30 pm. And finally, best of luck to our THREE chess teams who all qualified for the National checkmate finals in Limerick tomorrow!
St. Catherine’s National School, Donore Avenue, Dublin 8
Tel: 01 4542679